Saturday, October 11, 2008

First Impression: Ga-Rei - Zero

Probably one of the best first episodes to come out this season. Ga-Rei - Zero brings you right in the middle of action, with character revelation to boot, and a truly astonishing ending -- all just from the first episode! I could not ask for more.
Ga-Rei - Zero 01: Above Aoi
OP: Paradise Lost by Chihara Minori [4shared]
ED: Yume no Ashioto ga Kikoeru by Mizuhara Kaoru [4shared]

Somewhere in the Shitoko highway, what looks to be an ordinary fire turns out to be something caused by unseen supernatural forces. The First Mobile Division of the Supernatural Disaster Prevention Agency under the Ministry of Defense is deployed to the scene but is completely wiped out. Tooru and Natsuki of the Fourth Division then arrive, with their comrades Masaki and Kundou right on their heels.
I was interested in Ga-Rei - Zero because of the art. Not only that, supernatural shows always draw me in. I wasn't expecting much, however, thinking that this could well out turn out to be just another story about a soldier boy who fights in order to rid the world of evil. I didn't see the promo video either...so really, my first viewing of this series is really the first episode.
But what a fantastic first episode it is! I said it before and I'll say it again: one of the best -- if not the best -- show openers this season. And, to complement the fireworks of the first scene, the episode ends with a blast as well. Truly unexpected! I can think of a thousand things to say but with the finesse with which everything is executed I can't even bring myself to mock it.
If you want ass-kicking action, this is it. From the first scene, Ga-Rei - Zero puts you right in the middle of the main event. The pacing is excellent as well. So many things happening all at once, one shock after another, the whole thing never lets up. And yet, the most amazing thing about this particular episode is not so much with the action -- although I really can't find fault in that...I mean, ohmygod, bitch-slapping monsters with a freakin' motorcycle has gotta count for something -- but with how, even amid all the mayhem, the story never loses sight of its purpose. Not action for the sake of action. There is one fascinating character revelation as well that's probably going to become a key plot point later on.
I was right about the art, too. It is bloody good, and yes, I know, first episodes are supposed to have the highest production values, but if this keeps up, I'll have no complaints. Music, too, is great -- crazy guitar riffs and fast-paced tunes when you're right in the middle of the action and all soulful guitars in quieter moments.

Although the concept is not that original, I did note some interesting points: the cars caving in on themselves for apparently no reason, the use of optical devices called "seekers" to enable the wearer to "see" the spirits (a bit like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, the apparent connection between one of the main characters and a spirit, and the possible political intrigues going on behind-the-scenes.

All these things taken together is going to make one hell of an interesting story. I can't wait for the next episode.
MORE INFO:

OFFICIAL (JPN)
Wikipedia Entry (manga)
Anime News Network
WATCH "Ga-Rei - Zero" Trailer 1 @ Youtube
WATCH "Ga-Rei - Zero" Trailer 2 (w/ subs) @ Youtube

0 comments: