Wednesday, January 11, 2012

FIRST LOOK: Another

This might just be the season's highlight show. Another is a horror anime in the tradition of Ghost Hound but with the creeping scariness of Shiki. But I think the closest this anime gets to is Ghost Hunt.

First thing's first, I don't scare easy, especially of horror anime.  Shiki had some pretty scary animation but I wasn't in the least bit scared by that series. No, I was more disturbed by  Shiki than outright scared. Jute swears that Ghost Hound had some scenes that had her gripping her seat but eh, I dunno. I saw the series one fine day and, while I admit, some scenes were pretty disturbing (but not as disturbing as  Shiki), I thought the scary was meh. This series however.

The first few minutes of Another scared the sweet bejeezus out of me. I mean it. I actually had to cover my eyes in this one particular scene. I think it had something to do with the BGM. If you thought Ghost Hound had some great BGM moments, wait till you hear what Another has in store for you.

The OP and ED themes are also great. I thought the OP was done by Kalafina but the credits say it's done by ALI Project. I didn't know ALI Project did gothic opera but then again, when I think about it, it's really not too far from their repertoire. The ED theme is a sweet ballad done by some artist whose name I forgot. Anyway, it was good enough to keep me riveted to the ED video clip (even though not much was going on there) when normally, I'd just skip through all that to see the preview clip towards the end.

So anyway, Another is supposed to be about this one particular class (Class 3) in some middle school in a rural village. Several years ago, a student in this class, named Misaki, who was beloved by both students and teachers alike, suddenly died, but the class went on as if Misaki were still alive. This continued until graduation. Years later, a boy, Sakakibara Kouichi transfers from Tokyo to this school and joins Class 3 where he meets beautiful, aloof student, named Misaki Mei.

VERDICT: Watching (definitely)

More creepy pictures below.

0 comments: