Tuesday, October 7, 2008

First Impression: Toradora

I was just reading Angel Densetsu by Norihiro Yagi, the mangaka of Claymore. The manga is about a kind and naive boy with the heart of an angel but with the sinister looks of a devil. I haven't finished reading the manga yet (and I don't know when I'll pick it up again) but the main character in Angel Densetsu sure has lots of similarities with Ryuuji.
Toradora 01: The Tiger and the Dragon
OP: Vanilla by Yui Horie [4shared]
ED: Pre-Parade by Yui Horie, Kugimiya Rie and Kitamura Eri [4shared]

That said, Toradora is about a boy, Takasu Ryuuji, who though gentle and kind of a neat-freak, has the misfortune of being born with the evil-looking eyes of his deceased gangster father (something that his always hung-over mother never fail to remind him about). Because of this, everybody assumes he is a bad guy. Classmates hand him their wallets after bumping into him on their way to school, teachers are too scared of disciplining him, and girls avoid him like the plague.
Ryuuji x Kitamura = BFF
Kusheida genki desu ~


Fortunately for Ryuuji, not everyone in his new school is afraid of him. His bestfriend, Kitamura Yusaka, doesn't seem to have any real issues with his looks. Moreover, his own crush, the super-genki Minori Kusheida, does not seem to be afraid of him and even looks forward to their being in class together.

But who knew his real troubles were just beginning?
palmtop tiger
meetings

On the opposite side of the spectrum, is a girl, Aisaka Taiga, who lives alone in an unbelievably messy apartment and housedust all around. Despite her diminutive size, everybody is afraid of her, calling her only as the "palmtop tiger." Seeing her and witnessing the violent manifestation of her temper, the nickname is not that hard to figure out.

So what's happens when the most-feared dragon of the school meets the fearsome palmtop tiger? It's all out war. But it's Taiga who gets the first punch in and KOs the unwary Ryuuji.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Well, it seems pretty okay. School setting. I keep adding them to my list and then randomly dropping them after making a first impression. I'll try to stick by this one since the art really does please my eyes and the humor does it for me. The plot, however, is no brainer.

Something about being mortal enemies and then realizing that both can help each other in order to achieve a common objective reminds me of Lovely Complex and a lot of other anime titles under the romantic comedy genre. I wonder if Toradora is going to take that very same road and end up with Ryuuji and Taiga going for each other instead. If that's the case, then I'm not surprised. Of course, this is a romantic comedy. And everybody knows that romantic comedys and predictable very often go together.

I do love the tsundere though, and Taiga's design is indeed very moe. Her personality reminds me a little of Chiaki from Minami-ke... Even her hair color is similar. The title "Palmtop Tiger" is admittedly funny. And for some strange reason -- or perhaps, not that strange -- I always find violent girls hilarious and inexplicably adorable.

Ryuuji is a likeable character. His troubles with his face and his true personality makes him very sympathetic. But like I said, it's too similar to Angel Densetsu for me to truly appreciate the idea behind it. The personality clash, however, is something that could prove interesting, given some development.

Although it's the humor that gets to me right now, I won't mind if the story focuses more on the romance later on, since that is very obviously where this is going.

MORE INFO:

"Toradora" @ ASCII MediaWorks (JPN)
OFFICIAL (JPN)
Wikipedia Entry
Anime News Network
WATCH "Toradora" PV @ Youtube
WATCH "Toradora" @ Crunchyroll

0 comments: