Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ga-Rei Manga

Because it's Halloween tomorrow, I'll give you a special treat: Ga-Rei Volumes 01-03!!!! ♥ ~ Of course, you'll have to give me YOUR SOUL in exchange! (SFX: Muhahahaha!!!!) But don't worry, I'll take good care of it. ^_^

If you're following Ga-Rei Zero and adore Yomi as the baddest samurai girl ever to walk this earth, these volumes are a must-read. I won't spoil it for you. Just read it. And if you like this sort of thing, then go BUY it!
VOLUME 01 [MF]

VOLUME 02 [MF]

VOLUME 03 [MF]

COMMENTS:

While I have nothing against the mangaka's style (hip characters, great outfits, just enough fan service, and flawless action it will MOVE YOU TO TEARS), I do feel that the story is largely derivative. Also, I find the two main characters' instantaneous bond with each other as unbelievable and a bit contrived.

Despite Kensuke's USELESSNESS, he's still tagging along and Kagura is LETTING him, for apparently no other reason than that she wants the two of them to become friends. Ugh! Kagura, the little Miss Perfect, finishes off monsters too quickly with Byakuei that we don't see much sword work from her -- at least in the first three volumes. And dammit, I want to see her kick ass with a sword instead of relying too much on the ga-rei. I mean, the anime pretty much laid it out that Kagura's sword skills are way, way better than Yomi's...so I wanted to see it. Especially since I'm biased towards Yomi. Yomi is better at kicking ass.

Then again, maybe I'm too quick to judge the whole thing. The story might come together later on. And who knows, I might come to like Kagura. She's not as bad as I make her sound. Just that she's a typical main character, weak at first before gradually developing and becoming strong -- that sort of thing.

Anyway, I talk too much as usual. The manga is VERY PRETTY. READ IT.

0 comments: