Saturday, January 10, 2009

Casshern Sins 12-13: Of Artists and Kings

Because of the onset of the new season animes, I thought about dropping this series all together. That's why it took me this long to blog about episodes 12 and 13. But I decided to wait it out, considering I'm halfway there already anyway.
EPISODE 12: Making Living Time In Color

Casshern sets out to find Luna and meets Marco, a robot in the advanced stages of ruin, who has taken up the self-appointed task of painting the city around him with "his" color. From Marco, Casshern learns about the rise and fall of many rulers, including Braiking Boss, and how despite these rulers' era having ended, their memories remain through the colors they left behind.

EPISODE 13: The Past Will Rise Before You

Casshern joins the march of refugees who are all looking for Luna. Along the way, he encounters Lyuze, Ringo and Ohji. While their little group takes shelter in a cave for the night, a strange robot arrives and he seems to know a lot about Luna and Casshern.
COMMENTS:

Episode 12, so far, has the best script out of all Casshern Sins episodes. Episode 13 reveals a lot but the script is rather generic.

I think the problem with Casshern Sins is that it's only good when you are In The Moment -- that is, at the moment you are watching the actual episode. And even then, it can be less than compelling because of the obliqueness of the script (deep thought it is) and the generally depressing tone. What I'm saying is that while I might find the episodes good when I'm watching them, they don't create lasting impressions to make me want to go back for more. Thus, it's always a debate for me whether or not to watch the next one.

0 comments: