Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Casshern Sins 18: Lyuze in Love

Lyuze exposits...
EPISODE 18: Time Spent Living, Time From Now On
More Screencaps from Casshern Sins 18

I can't blog this episode. I just can't. It's extremely psychological and random, the dialogue heavy with implications and subtext. So let's just say that Lyuze spends most of the episode in conflict with her self-appointed duty to avenge her sister and her growing feelings for the man responsible for her death. In the end, she realizes that she is in love with Casshern and it's okay.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
COMMENTS:

The juxtaposition of live-action footage with cartoons is, for lack of a better word, surreal. I'm not sure what to make of this episode. I have always liked Lyuze's character so I ought to love this episode just because it's all about her. Yet, this episode seems too artsy and psychological to make a huge appeal. One thing I can say though is that it's a very interesting take on a character's inner thoughts.

The realm of the subconscious has always held a certain fascination and surrealism is, IMHO, the best way to portray it. The combination of childhood and present memories, conversations of the past and present merging with each other, innermost fears and most hidden desires becoming manifest, and colors and seemingly inconsequential objects -- I have never seen this done in an anime since Ergo Proxy and that one was more psychotic than surreal. Even my favorite psychological animes like Paprika and Perfect Blue never used live-action footage in their production, so in this regard, Casshern Sins is...very strange.

Anyway, this is a good episode, but it's probably not for everyone. You'll either love it or hate. In my case, I don't hate so I guess I do love it? It made me anticipate the next episode at least.

p.s. Lyuze is sooo street. ^.^

0 comments: