Sunday, August 17, 2008

THYME - Fly Away (Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~ Natsu no Sora OP Single)

RELEASED: 08,06.2008
LABEL: Geneon Entertainment
TRACKLIST:
1. Fly Away
2. my kitten
3. Fly Away (without vocal)
4. my kitten (without vocal)


I have to be honest. I have never heard of this group before I started watching the anime, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~ Natsu no Sora (currently airing as of this post). I have since dropped the series from my blogging list but it's still on my watchlist as one of those series that I check out when I have nothing better to do and nothing better is on. It's a good-looking show, don't get me wrong. It's just that, the story is slice of life and very, very light. Also, I've never been a huge fan of magicians. Would you believe it that I only watched the Harry Potter movies for the special effects and never even bothered to pick up the books? Yes, indeed, it's practically sacrilege but that's me.

That said, Fly Away is the utilized as the opening theme song for said anime. Hence, the protacted discussion above. From the first note, the song got me. It's a light summer song riddled with guitar-laden country airs and bouyant sound. Listening to it, it's not hard to imagine the countryside and other such pastoral scenes.

The song actually fits the anime perfectly, especially the first episode which is mostly set in the rural town of Biei in Hokkaido, Japan. The later episodes primarily take place in Tokyo, yet strangely enough the song does not sound out of place even against the backdrop of familiar urban sights. I guess that's the beauty of such a song.
BUY:

Thyme - Fly Away CD @ Amazon
Someday's Dreamers OST @ Amazon
Thyme - Fly Away CD @ CD Universe
Thyme - Fly Away CD @ Play-Asia
Thyme - Fly Away CD (Japan Version) @ Yes Asia
Thyme is composed of the following members: Thyme on vocals, Teppei Shimizu on sound production, and Takafumi Hoshino. Takafumi joined the band in July of 2006, right about the time the band released their second indie single, Drive / Yasashii Uta ga Aru Bashou e.

Even though they have been releasing independent singles since 2005 (2 singles to date), Thyme had their major debut in 2007 with the single, Hello. Their first course into anime soundtracks is through their second single, Forever We Can Make It! It was released in April 2008 and was used as an OP theme song to the anime, To Love-Ru.

Fly Away is Thyme's third official single. They are going to release a full studio album (their first), called First 9ualty, on September 3, 2008. So watch out for that.
MORE INFO:

OFFICIAL (Japanese)
THYME @ Wikipedia Entry
DDL "Fly Away" PV
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~ Natsu no Sora (anime) Wikipedia Entry

0 comments: